Monday, April 21, 2008

Revelations at Kenko's

Anyone who's had the misfortune of dragging a toddler into Kenko's will probably sympathize, but really the truth of the matter is, the whole concept was both misconceived and extremely ill-advised in the first place and I really should have known better.

Every time I try to do one of my "Live your life to the fullest" weekends, my back ends up paying for it. It's a combination of carrying all the toddler barang barang on my back (5 bottles, big bottle of water, milk powder for 5 bottles, diapers, change of clothes, wet wipes, dry cloth, 5 die-cast metal toy cars, 1 portable DVD player, 3 CDs/ DVDs, SLR camera and extra lens) and then also carrying the toddler in front as well. Add on the toddler pulling my hair and trying to lick my ear. It probably looks to the world like a Sherpa ascending Everest while carrying a monkey and being set upon by invisible wasps.

Then in the midst of all this, I pass a Kenko's, and an irresistable force propels me inside to get some relief for my poor tired back. Through the haze of agony and then relief as I put everything (and everyone) down, it barely registers that I have just signed up for half an hour of a back massage with a very awake, very curious 3-year old. Frankly for the first 5 minutes, nothing registers except for the fact that my back doesn't hurt as much. Then after 5 minutes, I note with horror that:

1. the toddler's hands are ink stained - where did he get all that ink????!!!
2. he is now playing with the rather delicate cream-coloured day-curtains, and by "playing with" I mean "dangling from";
3. he then disappears into a private room and comes out holding some dirty ear-buds;
4. there is a foul stench coming from his diaper and I can no longer smell the lavender in the air; and
5. he has been overcome by toddler verbal diarrhoea and nothing can drown him out, not the shushing and threats from the direction of my chair, not the bottle of milk I pass to him, not the pacifier, not the baby biscuits, not even the gentle strains of spa music from the hidden speakers. It's like someone just switched on the TV in time for the news, as read by a very enthusiastic newsreader with an extremely short attention span.

"I got bitten by an ant! My mama brushed it away! My grandpa died! He just died! I just poo poo! In my diaper! Yesterday, I poo pooed into the big potty! I try to drink water, but it make me choke! Mama! Can we go to the Movie Store?"

Most people complain that massages are too short, time seems to fly when you're lying on the table, they could lie there for another hour blah blah blah. Let me tell you - that was the longest massage of my life and I couldn't wait to leave.

7 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Annie Wan said...

living for so long here in blighty as i have i'd forgotten how child friendly everywhere else is - a toddler in a spa? this would've been unthinkable in The Sanctuary - a place where even men are banished

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Indiana said...

Think of the great adventures having him has helped bring into the story of your life...

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had to laugh when i read your post... and only because i'm going through it myself and understand.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

he just doesn't like kenko. reflextions was ok wat.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2015910dongdong
ray ban sunglasses
celine
black timberland boots
michael kors outlet
oakley vault
gucci outlet
nike free run
louis vuitton purses
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
coach factorty outlet
coach factory outlet online
cheap soccer shoes
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton
jordan 4
coach outlet store online
air max 90
jordan 13
mont blanc
oakley sunglasses outlet
cheap jordans
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
nfl jerseys
air jordan 11
coach factory outlet
lebron james shoes 2015
michael kors
adidas outlet store
michael kors outlet
mont blanc pens
nike roshe runs
prada shoes
pandara jewelry
prescription sunglasses
cheap air max
michael kors outlet

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, louboutin, gucci outlet, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, replica watches, nike air max, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, nike outlet, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike free, oakley sunglasses, burberry, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, longchamp, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.11.15
ralph lauren
ralph lauren polo
true religion jeans outlet
canada goose outlet
jordan clothing
coach outlet factory
ugg boots
true religion
canada goose jackets
basketballl shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home