Monday, June 18, 2007

IT'S OFFICIAL - WE ARE NEVER MOVING AGAIN

I am a chronic house mover. Since I managed to move out of my mother's house, I have lived at Chancery Court, River Place, Botanic Garden View, Ang Mo Kio and now have just moved to the East. And that's over the past 6 years or so. And every time I do this, I tell myself, I am never moving house again. It's just too painful, in terms of the packing and unpacking, and also having to leave behind a house that I have gotten to love living in. So why did I move? I saw someplace that I thought was nicer. Also, in Chancery Court, I couldn't get the Landlord to settle for less.

This time is the worst move ever - I cannot recall how we managed to accumulate so much heavy furniture over the past 1.5 years. Even the movers asked if we were really intending to take everything. And moving from 2,700 square feet to 1,500 square feet is no joke - when the last box was shoved into the house and the movers let the door shut behind them, they must have wondered how we were going to get out.

The Son has enjoyed climbing over boxes and furniture placed on top of other furniture. "Tall Mountin!" he says. But I am seriously less thrilled - it is going to be physically impossible to fit everything and we are going to have to sell off more furniture than I needed to fill my first apartment to begin with. I mean, seriously. We have a bed, dining set, side table, study table with chair, sofa, coffee table and bookshelves to sell off. How the hell am I going to pull this off. How are we going to get the furniture out the door?!?!

Anyway, horror aside, I went to work last Friday in my maternity clothes (everything else was packed) and I could not believe how different my day was. I have forgotten how nice people can be if you look pregnant (as compared to if you just look a little bit fat) - people were not just holding the door open for me, some of them were actually walking back to pull the door open again, and then hold it open?! And people are just feel friendlier, and I don't mean that in the hubba hubba sort of way. I felt like a fraud (no, I am not pregnant), but part of me enjoyed getting my pregnancy privileges back, even if it was just for a day. A friend sms'd me late in the evening to say someone else had seen me walking by and asked if I was pregnant. Gah!

10 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Indiana said...

I just moved, so I know the whole drama you speak of, and its also out east...with a similar drop in space but I only lost 500sq ft not 1200 ???

That is a lot of stuff. ~grin~

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger expat@large said...

Horror! To down-size! Qu'elle tragedie sociale! Hope you made a fortune on the sale to some corrupt Indonesian gambler/politican/illegal-logger though.

And I only ever get the "fat" treament, never the "oh you're pregnant" treatment so I only know the downside of wearing comfortable clothing.

And if you want to dump some of those bookshelves over at my place let me know, you are more than welcome. My 2nd couch has already been commandeered by Fiction, Authors - W to Z. Do you know a "man with a van"?

And don't forget the 30th.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about moving. On one hand I actually like packing things into neat little boxes and unpacking them later on and arranging them around my new place.

What I hate though is having to lug huge boxes and suitcases up and down flights of stairs, and all around town. Which is when a six pack of beer comes in handy, you wave it around and a group of college boys run to do your bidding.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Indie: It's a lot of stuff. A Lot Of Stuff. *tears hair*

E@L: Am trying to sell the house now. Wanna? Actually you can call the maxipad, I mean, the maxi-cab to move the furniture. He'll hate you to death after he shows up "On Call" and finds you standing there with a sofa, but the chances are even that he will help you to move it. That's how I moved my projection TV at 9 pm one day.

VPS: I could stand naked in a room full of beers, but no number of college boys will help me to move 1 piano, a full sized sofa, a dining table for 10 and a queen size bed for free.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger eyes said...

Welcome to the East though.
I live there too :D

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could start wearing more maternity clothing so people won't just offer to open doors but offer to move pianos?

-screwy

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Angeline said...

we used to have an Indonesian logger for a neighbour in singapore - not sure if he was illegal or not.

is everyone in singapore downsizing now?

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, birkin bag, hollister, longchamp, ghd, insanity workout, nike roshe, beats by dre, hollister, oakley, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, vans, wedding dresses, timberland boots, mont blanc, north face outlet, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, lululemon, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, iphone 6 cases, nike air max, instyler, babyliss, herve leger, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, p90x workout, converse, vans shoes, soccer shoes

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

nhl jerseys
yeezy boost 350 black
louis vuitton sacs
ray ban sunglasses
miami heat
toms outlet
ray bans
coach factory outlet
instyler max
coach outlet online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home