Thursday, January 18, 2007

Local Boy Finally Potty-Trained By Army

Now that The Son has reached the ripe old age of 1.75 years, we've started getting tentative enquiries as to his potty-training and nursery school enrollment.

"Nil", I merrily reply. I've not potty-trained him, nor have I attempted to enroll him in anything more challenging than those toy rides you see in shopping centres where you put a dollar coin in the slot for 3 minutes of fun. The Husband and I have been making jokes about how he might still be sleeping in our bed between the 2 of us when he is old enough to date. "Son, I don't know how to tell you this, but since you got married last week it might be a good time for you to get your own bed."

Those jokes were funny, like, months ago. Now 50% less funny. Especially since my mother has taken it upon herself to buy him a potty and now we have to try and persuade him to use it. How the hell am I going to do that? I'm never around when he shits! Except on the weekends, but we're usually away from home. I am not toting that potty around the shopping centres of Singapore. No freaking way.

Yeah, I'm gonna print this out and keep it. When he's 18 and doing his National Service and I get a letter from his drill sergeant asking why my son is still wearing Drypers (Size XXXXXXXXXXL), I'll just attach this as my response. Hopefully the drill sergeant will get the hint and also take the liberty to wean him off the pacifiers.

I mean, seriously. I don't know how other people handle this. There's only 3 hours tops from when I get home from work to the time he falls asleep. How do I teach him to speak, read, write, shit, pee, not use a pacifier and everything else during that time? Most of which is spent watching High Five or (recent development - we are holding our breaths) Bob the Builder. Maybe we can build this into the dialogue. Look Son! Bob has no nuk! Bob has no diaper! Bob is GOOD!

I asked my potty-purchasing mom how she trained the lot of us. She said she didn't. Somehow my (then unmarried alleged virgin) aunt and then a succession of maids managed to do the job so unintrusively that she cannot remember when it all happened. I should've suspected this when she tried to change The Son's diaper and it fell off after he stood up.

12 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger outsider said...

My daughter still sleeps with us and she is 3 yrs 4 mths. We are trying to get her back to her room with limited success. But i think its perfectly ok and you should not be influenced too much with what other people think. I intend to get a customed size bed so that both my son and daughter can sleep with us when he gets slightly bigger in a few mths.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Angeline said...

My daughter potty trained herself at 23 months.
We just left a potty in the bathroom and showed her how to use it a few times. A few months later she was pulling her own pants down and going by herself (yeah, even wiping with paper after).
I think she got really tired of sitting in her dirty diapers.

In Canada, most boys are not potty trained until 3 or even more. I'm not sure why our Chinese mothers are so obsessed with potty training. My mum had been asking me about it since daughter was 4 mths.

In my opinion, people worry too much about inconsequential nonsense like this. Do you think that the age at which you were potty trained would have made a difference to the adult that you are right now? My guess... "NIL".

Same goes with where your baby sleeps. etc etc etc...the list just goes on and on and on and on doesn't it?

My neighbour (a mother of 3) once tried to convince me that my daughter (who has never enjoyed sucking on anything except my nipples) needs to suck on a specially designed pacifier so that her teeth would form properly...huh??

I think parents should worry less about nonsense like this and spend more time and energy having fun with their kids instead.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

you know my take. enjoy him in bed with you whilst it lasts! my Man won't allow me to hug him too tight now,shucks. my Belle is beginning to complain too. wat's with limp hugs?! yeeukhh. now that leaves my pomegranate. he just wimpers and wheezes - the perfect hugababy! btw, I killed my squeaky that way - hugging too tight. but that's just hamsters. babies/kids are way hardier.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

you know my take. enjoy him in bed with you whilst it lasts! my Man won't allow me to hug him too tight now,shucks. my Belle is beginning to complain too. wat's with limp hugs?! yeeukhh. now that leaves my pomegranate. he just wimpers and wheezes - the perfect hugababy! btw, I killed my squeaky that way - hugging too tight. but that's just hamsters. babies/kids are way hardier.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

I guess so, but if anyone can give me tips on how to brush his teeth, it would be most appreciated.

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babies are just bigger monkeys. They will want to follow whatever it is you do. Let them watch you and your husband enjoying brushing and he will want in.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

I think anonymous hit the nail on the head.

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember learning how to brush at 7 (remember the days when they lined up the primary school kids besides the drain?), letting go of my milk bottle at 8, sleeping in my own room at 10 (well, we didn't have more rooms before that), and I think I can quite take care of myself today, except maybe for the milk bottle... guess this is not the answer you want but they come "naturally". then again, so is fretting parents :) Soon it'll be "how's he going to do his homework?" "how's he going to choose his friends?" "how's he going to ..."

part of the joy?

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, vans pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, true religion jeans, timberland, nike air max, coach factory outlet, true religion outlet, burberry, michael kors, coach purses, vanessa bruno, michael kors, converse pas cher, hollister pas cher, nike blazer, michael kors, oakley pas cher, tn pas cher, ray ban uk, mulberry, louboutin pas cher, hogan, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach outlet, sac guess, new balance pas cher, air force, nike free, lululemon, ralph lauren pas cher, coach outlet, north face, hermes, nike air max, true religion jeans, nike air max, sac longchamp, hollister, true religion jeans, north face, longchamp pas cher, air max, air jordan pas cher, nike free run uk

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, birkin bag, hollister, longchamp, ghd, insanity workout, nike roshe, beats by dre, hollister, oakley, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, vans, wedding dresses, timberland boots, mont blanc, north face outlet, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, lululemon, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, iphone 6 cases, nike air max, instyler, babyliss, herve leger, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, p90x workout, converse, vans shoes, soccer shoes

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home