Monday, October 23, 2006

Local Girl Distracts Herself with Lemongrass

The Sunday papers are always a challenge. Given the vast resources of time I find myself saddled with on Sundays, it's always difficult to avoid reading the Sunday Times in its entirety, sometimes twice. How am I to read the articles in a non-critical way? How do I avoid rolling my eyes the entire time?

The solution was always out there for me to discover. Use lemongrass.

Had a photo shoot yesterday at Fort Canning. Managed to get the time horribly wrong, so I woke up at the crack of dawn and rushed out for the shoot in my pajamas (Pokemon tee-shirt, shorts) only to find myself alone and 1.5 hours too early for the shoot. I tried walking around the grounds and taking artistic shots with the tripod and the 2 lenses I brought, but all that I got for the trouble was artistically positioned mosquito bites. I was getting eaten alive out there. At any moment, there was at least 1 mosquito perched on my bare leg. I killed 3 in the space of 5 minutes and I was still getting bitten everywhere.

By the time the photo class teacher arrived, I was almost in tears. Do you have any mosquito repellant? I forgot to bring. My legs are a bloody mess.

Use lemongrass, he said. Rub on your leg. It will help. (You would think it hurt him to speak). What he meant was, go steal some lemongrass from the spice garden, try not to get caught, then smash it up with your bare hands and rub the lemongrass juice over your bare skin in the vague hope that the blood orgy will stop.

And that's exactly what I did. Disgusting. I actually got some garden soil on my hands. And having misread the signs in the spice garden, I actually plucked some regular grass by mistake. Thank God for my lemongrass-scented shower creme otherwise I wouldn't have realised the error.

Anyway, the stuff is pretty amazing. Not only did the mosquitoes stop biting, but the existing bites didn't even itch anymore. There's still some swelling, but I could be rolling on the ground like a rabid monkey clawing at my legs if it wasn't for the grimy little rub-down with the lemongrass.

Ok? asked the teacher, halfway through the lesson.

Yeah. Ok. I said.

Came back completely exhausted, skimmed through the main part of the Sunday Times and am delighted to confirm that I can't remember a thing that I read.

8 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mozzies are nasty creatures! The last time one bit me, I ended up in hospital with dengue. I should probably try the lemongrass though, they seem to like kissing me a lot.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lord. Will that Pokemon t-shirt ever die???? It can't be the same one that you pranced around in (oh so)proudly here 4 years ago,is it?

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Yes, it's the very same tee-shirt. I'm proud to say that my son can almost say "Pokemon" as a result of seeing that tee-shirt almost every day. In fact, the first thing he saw after he was born (and could focus his eyes properly) was the Pokemon tee shirt.

Unfortunately, the lemongrass effect has worn off but what can I expect from one miserable blade of grass anyway. Spent the public holiday scratching away miserably.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Fiery said...

Mossies hate the smell of Citronella which is natural extract. Apply citronella balm. It is hard to find but you may be able to buy it in the local pharmacies. It is easier to get them in KL or Thailand.

Alternative is use citronella candles (the yellow tealights, Watson has started selling them. I used to buy them from Home Fix stores). Can try scrapping some wax off and rub them on your skin just to get the smell on.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, vans pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, true religion jeans, timberland, nike air max, coach factory outlet, true religion outlet, burberry, michael kors, coach purses, vanessa bruno, michael kors, converse pas cher, hollister pas cher, nike blazer, michael kors, oakley pas cher, tn pas cher, ray ban uk, mulberry, louboutin pas cher, hogan, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach outlet, sac guess, new balance pas cher, air force, nike free, lululemon, ralph lauren pas cher, coach outlet, north face, hermes, nike air max, true religion jeans, nike air max, sac longchamp, hollister, true religion jeans, north face, longchamp pas cher, air max, air jordan pas cher, nike free run uk

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, birkin bag, hollister, longchamp, ghd, insanity workout, nike roshe, beats by dre, hollister, oakley, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, vans, wedding dresses, timberland boots, mont blanc, north face outlet, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, lululemon, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, iphone 6 cases, nike air max, instyler, babyliss, herve leger, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, p90x workout, converse, vans shoes, soccer shoes

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home