Friday, October 06, 2006

CALISTA FLOCKHART WEIGHS LESS THAN ME!

Just found out last evening. Granted that she looks like a reanimated stack of firewood but still, it's a whole 10 kg we're talking about here. What do you have to do in order to be a grown woman weighing 35 kg?

Some of my stuff (a non-emotive name for the fat) can be written off as PPF (post-pregnancy fat), but still. My nickname in Primary School was Olive for God's sake (It's that skinny woman who was dating Popeye). I was 25 kg for a decade at least, and then 35 kg for another decade. My mother didn't seem to notice but the school nurses would always make a note in the file about my weight (probably "Ditto", against last year's weight).

Have thought about it at some length and I think it's all about the food. There's not much fantastic food you can get your hands on with pocket money and some extra fees from being a tutor on the side. But give me a monthly salary and a couple of years worth of "client lunches" and I'm a big fat pig.

The thing I say most often to the husband now when we are dining together would be "Can I have that fat?" (the stuff he left on the side of the plate after clearing his ribeye steak) or "Where's my fat?" (I ordered my own ribeye at Morten's and couldn't find the fat streaks). A few more years of all this and we will start to look like Jack Sprat and his wife. I used to think badly of her but now I empathize. That fat really tastes good.

Just had a rather lovely lunch at an Italian restaurant with a friend who asked me not to mention this in the blog, so I won't. Here's me not mentioning. Ok ok I'll zip it.