Friday, August 05, 2005

Soul Kitchen Omigod

K the Foodie introduced me to Soul Kitchen at Purvis Street yesterday where we met Damien D'Silva, the owner, who also cooked for us. It's been a while since I ate something so good that I'm still obsessing about it the very next day, but his tagliatelle bolognaise is the yummiest I have ever tasted - it is out of this world. No garnish, no fancy arrangement, just a plate and the pasta - everything was gone in just under 15 minutes. I couldn't eat it fast enough. If I could've licked the plate without K hanging her head in shame, I would have.

K had the Devil curry (some Eurasian curry) and he gave her a little plate of buah keluak mash. I tried the mash with my rice and almost fainted. It had little bits of pork inside and tasted like it had been lovingly cooked for hours. I don't know how much we paid for that little pot of mash, but it wasn't enough. The man cooks like a demon.

I took the curry home (too much! couldn't finish!), then brought it back to work, and I'm eating it right now. I can't believe this man used to be the chef from Citrine Chocolat - the food is so different. The stuff at Citrine I could do without - it was like banquet food where everything gets prepared a day beforehand, and they pour hot sauce over it before serving. Expensive cardboard with nice gravy, I thought. This - this curry - is nothing like that. It is hot and sweet and tastes like every curry I've ever eaten that's done right. The chicken breast in the curry is just soft enough to mash with the curry gravy. Even eaten cold, like I'm doing now, it's yummilicious. There is no thick layer of oil over the curry, and the gravy has solidified into a curry potato type of consistency, which I can pick up with a fork. If this man was my father, I'd be an obese person lumbering home every day for dinner. This man must receive a lot of marriage proposals. Hmmm..

Dessert was not so great though. I think he tried to do something different with the sago gula melaka, and it didn't have its traditional punch. I much prefer the StraitsKitchen version where they let you OD as you please on gula melaka and coconut milk and the sago is big, fat and soft. Not tiny and slightly grainy in the middle like what happened yesterday. Oh well. Should've tried the blue ginger creme brulee instead, eh?

I can't really think straight now as the urge to run back and have another tagliatelle bolognaise is all I can think of right now. Perhaps I can go back this weekend with the fambly ...

7 Comments:

At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh*

i just got back from a big lunch with my boss and colleagues at a nearby japanese place. sushi and fried bananas with green tea ice cream... strangely, was not hungry when i started and don't feel full now that i've finished. hopefully that means i've attained the perfect state of GI balance... :>

but now your descriptions are making me very hungry... and i can't get sago gula melaka here, dammit!!! :( :)

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Yes, but you don't have to pay S$15(?) for a Cosmopolitan magazine and S$170 for a pair of freaking Burkinstocks

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheheh will be happy to send you stuff if you want. just let me know what you want. the only caveat is be prepared to forgive procrastination, as the post office is a hot sweaty 30 min walk for me *grin*

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmm obviously someone rather let the cooking be done by other people...

G

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superior attempt Jamie. Request a few of friends and
family who seem to adore products. I’m confident they can assist.
Also visit my website - fusion.totalfun.fr

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, vans pas cher, lacoste pas cher, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, true religion jeans, timberland, nike air max, coach factory outlet, true religion outlet, burberry, michael kors, coach purses, vanessa bruno, michael kors, converse pas cher, hollister pas cher, nike blazer, michael kors, oakley pas cher, tn pas cher, ray ban uk, mulberry, louboutin pas cher, hogan, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach outlet, sac guess, new balance pas cher, air force, nike free, lululemon, ralph lauren pas cher, coach outlet, north face, hermes, nike air max, true religion jeans, nike air max, sac longchamp, hollister, true religion jeans, north face, longchamp pas cher, air max, air jordan pas cher, nike free run uk

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home